Wow. I was just sitting on the sofa surfing while my kids watched ABC Family and their ten-millionth episode of Boy Meets World (which my son says is the Brady Bunch of their generation, along with Step by Step and Full House, by the way).
The show ended, and the between-show commercial spots ran. An ad for HP Pavilion notebooks was what caught my ear:
"Get a new HP (model whatever) out of your parents for just $999! Or a (model whatever) for $499!"
Things have come a long way since, "Follow your nose!" and "Frosted Lucky Charms are magically delicious!" and "You sunk my battleship!", haven't they?
The ante has been upped.
My girls snuck looks at me after the commercial, and Emilie said, "Ridiculous."
It might have been the "WHAAAAAAT?!?!" I let out spontaneously that inspired her to say the right thing. I hope not. Kids are smarter than we think. That's what scares me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
We watch Boy Meets World and the others mentioned as well around here. BMW is one of Fab's all time favorite shows. I think he is in love with Topanga.
Crazy to think Ryan was 5 when BMW started and 3 when SBS started!
As for the computer--remember Ian's birthday requests?? An iPhone and hot tub...enough said!
Ian has an excuse for trying to get a hot tub and iPhone out of his parents. He's 2.11 years old.
Hehe. :-D
Did the ad-makers think that only kids will be watching the ads?!
LOL, Julie. They are smarter than their parents. How did this ever happen? I used to be a lot smarter than my parents and then somehow I got stupid. Was it the pregnancies? The sleep deprivation? Maybe it's all part of some grand brainwashing campaign by the advertisers. : )
Post a Comment