Friday, July 06, 2007

Little drops of rain

Since my last post, I've been doing some thinking and looking around. I believe I'll try to post things here on my blog as I come across them. They might be areas in which you, too, could help others, or if they're local to my area, they might spur you to check for similar needs in your own or around the world.

As I pulled up my search page this morning, it occurred to me that I'm already doing this.(Thanks to my son, who changed my home page default a few months ago.) You can use SearchKindly for your default search or home page. Any searches you do there, while still powered by the omnipotent Google, generate funds for a particular organization around the world. Each month, the users vote for the organization to receive the next month's funds. It's not a huge amount, but usually around $500-$700 per month goes to good causes simply by using this search portal. The funds are generated from the advertisers on the page.

Check it out here.

Then, this week we received word that the Family Crisis Center of Cleburne, TX, is in desperate need of twin- and full-sized sheet sets, bath towels, and wash rags. They can be new, but used ones in decent shape are welcome. Our church is collecting them this Sunday. How many of us have piles of these things in our linen closets collecting dust (or in our case, constantly getting dragged out by kids who are bored and really have plenty of other tent-building or sleepover supplies, and who daily forget to hang their bath towels up to dry, and so get another one out every time and toss the other one in the laundry)? If you think about it, this could even contribute to family harmony. Heh. What organizations in your area could use this help?

Just some thoughts.

No comments: