We are not the best at scanning the pantry for expired items. In fact, I've been known to use items if they're within reasonable reach of the expiration date. (Like, you know, a couple of years if it's not obviously perishable. Or sometimes, within a few weeks for cold stuff. Case in point, we are all still alive.) I tend to think of those dates as "guidelines." And don't worry, if you're a guest in my home for a meal, I'll serve you only the freshest food.
But it came to my attention this afternoon that we've been overly lax. My daughter was digging through the pantry and stopped to stare at a box of Hamburger Helper Lasagna. Now, I've scanned this same package many times (I shudder now to think how many) and never found an expiration date, but the thought of making lasagna from Hamburger Helper just doesn't appeal. So, I pass it over, but leave it alone ... just in case.
I heard an exclamation from the kitchen: "GROSS!"
After a few minutes, when I was ready, I responded: "What?"
"Mom, this box of Hamburger Helper has a Jurassic Park sweepstakes that ended October 31, 1997!"
Dang.
I told her to throw the sauce mix away, stick the box on the recycle shelf, and put the pasta bag back in the pantry. I'm pretty sure pasta doesn't ever die, but I'll check to be sure in a few years.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Um, wow. I am speechless!
I think you have us beat. We've found salad dressing from 1999...it was gross.
And I think pasta should last forever...
That is so funny!! I've started keeping home only since two years ago... Will write in after 10 years and let you know... :D
Hey, those dates are totally guidelines, except if there is obvious mold or stink involved. I use the smell and touch test, along with other methods.
I'll bet I might be able to find something in my pantry older than your Hamburger Helper. I think I have a plastic container of brown rice in there from Sams that may be at least 10 years old. I'll have to look and see. The fridge usually fares better, though the freezer - well let's just say sometimes I'm not sure what year something was bought, if it gets buried in the back . . .
You know, me and my pantry are only on passing acquaintance terms about half the time . . . cuz the chips and cookies are in a DIFFERENT cabinet . . .
Post a Comment