Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Whisper "Hope"

Does talking to your daughter in the car after you just dropped her off at school mean you are losing your mind, or does it mean you were distracted from everyday life for a moment by the radio while you listened to the bell toll and the names of those killed from DFW in the 9/11 events five years ago?

Everyday life is much the same, but completely different than it was five years ago. Some days, hope is a distant concept when reading the news, others it's so tangible you can feel it.

I remember curling my hair on 9/11/01 and stopping halfway through to listen in disbelief to the reports on the radio. I don't remember curling the other half. I remember lying in bed that night and several more, waking every hour or so to surprising emotion as I imagined myself in the shoes of victims and their families.

Earlier today, God gave us a metaphorical reminder in Arlington of his constant presence. The bright sky suddenly darkened and there was a fast and hard rain shower, followed by the burst of sunlight, unveiled again. Even in the storm, the sun was there.

Gently whisper "Hope."

No comments: