The greater your trust, the lesser your doubt.
I read this on a church sign coming home from lunch today. Todd was in mid-sentence about calling his mom and inviting her over for dinner and I just flat-out interrupted him.
Me: THAT'S NOT TRUE.
Todd: Huh?
Todd (internal thought): It's not true that we should invite my mom over for dinner? What a horrid wife I have married!!!
Me: NO! That sign! It's not true, if you really think about it.
I launched my argument and then told him we could go back to discussing dinner with the family.
My theory is this. On the surface, yes, it makes sense. We trust our spouses, so we don't doubt their love and fidelity. On the other hand, we've been having a lot of discussions in our house lately about beliefs and doubts--both about life and its eternal qualities for us and others around us, as well as moral and lifestyle issues. My son especially has come to the age where he is really exploring his beliefs, making sure that he believes what he does for himself and not just because he was brought up to believe a certain way. I think that's a good thing.
Hence, we come to the argument the sign brought to mind. I personally believe that the more you trust, the more you feel free to doubt. Ryan trusts that we will love and accept him even if he doubts and questions what he has been spoonfed. I trust and am trying to teach my kids to trust that God is a big enough God that he can handle our doubts. In fact, he might be pleased by them. Is that too radical to say out loud? I don't think so. I have been around a lot of people in my life that have been terrified to doubt or tried to convince others that doubts are an abomination.
"If you doubt, you surely lack faith!"
"What? You question what I'm saying? But, God told me this! This from God!"
You see where I'm going? The same God who gave us life also gave us brains and analytical abilities, and I can't see that he would be happy if we were to simply shut down that part of our brain that tells us to question and explore and not blindly believe what others tell us is true.
And having said all that, I have to mention that my son still believes in Santa Claus. He just rescued him from our neighbor's trash. More on that later.
Monday, June 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I wonder if God trusts us even when we have doubts? Or I wonder if maybe he had a great trust in himself to make us the way we are, doubts and all, knowing that for the most part we will come to the "right" conclusion???
Amen, sista! And, to Anonymous, I think God *has* to trust us. He gave us His earth, after all. Yeah, I think He trusts us even with our doubts.
Post a Comment