Sunday, June 25, 2006

Did they or didn't they?

We went to see The Breakup last night. I had been talking myself in and out of it, but the Old 97s made an appearance, so we had to go. Todd and I met officially at an Old 97s concert, so they're "our band." :) Well, we met at a restaurant before the concert, but you know.

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW...DON'T READ IF YOU STILL WANT TO SEE IT.

So, what did you think about this movie? The reviews are fairly straight on, although it probably didn't deserve a Star Time grade as low as C. It was funny in spots, and heartwrenching in others--mainly, as a friend of mine said after she saw it, because the things they fight over could be fights any of us have, and also because there were several points at which they could have patched things up and didn't.

I asked Todd later if he thought they got back together after the final scene where they meet on a street after a year or so of being apart. He said, "Yes." (He is a man of many words.) I think "No." You could tell they wanted to talk more and see each other, but the politeness was just too awkward. I think they would leave it as a "what if..." forever.

A question I was left with was, "How did she change?" (I am horrible about remembering the names of characters in movies--I can't remember either of their names!) I felt like he finally, toward the end, made some overt efforts to compromise and try more to be what she wanted, but it was too late. On the surface, her efforts were less changing on her part and more "I will be willing to put up with him."

Is this really change? What is change in a relationship? Simply being more accepting of a person "the way they are," or being willing to try to change some things about yourself (even if you're perfect the way you are, in your humble opinion)? Should we try to change, or should we expect others to accept us just the way we are? Tough question. I think perhaps being accepting might be the easier half of that.

I promptly came home and dreamed Todd and I had a horrible fight. It was not pretty. We were on our upcoming road trip, and now I will be really paranoid. Heh. Ryan also had a really rough night last night, and I am praying for him, but not sure how much those prayers are going to help--at least today. I actually fell asleep praying for him last night because I just felt like he needed it, but didn't know how much until this morning. How's that for a mother's intuition?

Weird stuff. Things to think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Gary did change, though not soon enough for Brooke to have seen it before she left on her trip. I think she still deeply loved him, but had nothing else to give in the relationship at that point. I envision them getting back together very slowly as Brooke seeks to see if Gary really did change...just my 2 cents and a few words.

Julie Kibler said...

Okay, so you're sometimes a man of more than one word. :-D

(He did cheat and look their names up on IMDB.com, though...just trying to make me look bad, uh huh.)

Thanks for commenting, Toddy. I don't feel like such a looooooser now. ;)