Thursday, September 08, 2005

My new blogging hobby

I've found a new hobby for my blog! Of course, because I list myself as a writer, editor, and information addict, it has something to do with that. Rarely a day passes when I don't get at least a snicker from something reported in our local paper, the Ft. Worth Startlegram. Oh, excuse me, I mean the Star Telegram! So, I've decided to share these little moments with you, my faithful readers. All three of you. It's not the content itself. It's the manner in which it is printed. For instance, in yesterday's paper (at least, I think it was yesterday...it's one of several piled in the reading room), I found the following. Names have been deleted to protect the parties involved--I think I may know some of them and don't want to directly embarrass anyone.

Two major oil spills have been identified in hurricane-battered southern Louisiana. Reuters and National Public Radio said Tuesday that the largest spill involves 68,0000 barrels from the (company name deleted) storage depot in Venice, La., a facility connected to the (name deleted) family of Fort Worth. A 10,000-barrel spill has been connected to...



Amazing, yet true. The paper has invented a new number format! How would you read that out loud? Any and all suggestions welcome in comments.

So, Heather and I have spent the last two days sorting and folding donated clothing in my living room. Well, actually, Heather's sorted and folded while I've fielded phone calls and emails about the donations and tried to do a little work for pay in between with little success. We finally found my floor again this afternoon around five. Tomorrow a few more items are to be delivered and then we are going to try to take some of the things to one family, and then at other points this weekend, deliver them to the others. It's kept me from dwelling on the news quite as much. Between laughing over the newspaper typos and putting t-shirts donated by church members that read "Sexy women eat free" and "House of Blues New Orleans French Quarter" in the "Or not" pile, I think I'm regaining my sense of humor at least a little bit.


1 comment:

Love Mommas said...

I believe you say that number as 68 bagillions