Wednesday, September 07, 2005
How do you decide?
Aaahhhh!! Who do you help?!?! I know many of us are experiencing frustration because of this question! I was listening to KVIL on the radio this morning and feeling frustrated because they were doing a phone-a-thon for one family who had lost everything in the NO flooding and they were helping her to furnish the apartment she was able to get paid for two months. I think it's WONDERFUL that the radio station was doing this, don't get me wrong, but doesn't it just make you feel helpless for the other 50,000 or so families who are homeless in Texas now? Our church is helping two extended families (7-8 nuclear families, I believe) that we know of through work or church members. Again, I feel frustrated...the donations are coming in at a very steady trickle (I'm coordinating this, so am seeing it all). Some are blowing me away, like the lady who is giving a $300 Target gift certificate. We will be able to help these two families quite a bit, but it's scary to think about questions like "Are we helping the right families?", "Are we helping in the right way?", and for me, most of all, "Will the church be satisfied that I made the right decisions in how to do this?" I guess we just have to be obedient to God and give without worrying so much, and be assured that he will take care of those details somehow. If only I weren't such a people-pleaser, my life would be much calmer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Ah, pleasing people--there's never a completely satisfactory result, is there? "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for me, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Col. 3:23-24). Joyce Meyer's latest book is titled "Approval Addiction." I haven't read it, but I think many of us ought to.
Post a Comment