Thursday, September 20, 2007

Is that a pancake your wearing?

We had breakfast for dinner tonight, always a favorite around our house. What's something you like to eat for dinner that's not quite the normal thing?

Barbara Samuel got me started thinking about family food traditions because of reading her fun post tonight about biscuits and wonderful home-cooked breakfasts.

Weird family food story--

Last Friday night I found a mix I bought on clearance at Target a month or so ago. Krusteez scones. Sounded like a good dessert with a handful of chocolate chips squished in on the kneading part. They were quite delicious, if I do say so myself. Light and fluffy and melt in your mouth good.

Well, my mom talked to my brother a few days later, and it turns out he took his little boy to a family potluck dinner at school one night last week. They were supposed to take an ethnic dish representing their family roots. Guess what he baked and took? Chocolate chip scones. From a mix, no less. How weird is that? I'm not sure either of us has ever eaten chocolate chip scones at the same time or in the same place, so it was a little eerie.

I guess those Scottish roots run deeper than I thought. (And being cooking-from-scratch challenged is hereditary as well, obviously.)

1 comment:

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

I love scones, or as Andy likes to call them, sconces. My favorite are cranberry-orange. Never tried to make them though, I usually buy the ones at Albertsons. We like to have breakfast for dinner too - usually bacon and eggs and maybe biscuits. I got a waffle iron last year, so that has become a popular item too because they turn out better than my pancakes. You really need a griddle to make great pancakes, or at least I do. Mine never turn out like I want. Blah blah, I'm rambling . . . sorry. Thinking about scones instead of the Slim Fast bar I just had . . .