Sunday afternoon, we had the opportunity to have a special visit with her at the hospital while she was still quite alert and in fine form with the wacky sense of humor she's always had. Ryan played his guitar and sang her a few songs, including the one he wrote soon after Howard died. He asked her after the first if she liked it and if she wanted him to play another, and she said yes, but a quieter song, please. :-)
I asked her to tell the kids what her favorite things to do were when she was 9, 13, and 18, the ages the kids are now, and she told them, in order, "Ride my bicycle, chase boys, and kiss boys," and shared how she paid for her first date with Howard out of her own paycheck. She was something else. A few weeks ago, she mentioned to us that on Howard's gravestone, it says, "Until we meet again, my beloved." She said on hers, she wants, "Honey, here I come!" (And I spoke with my sister-in-law this morning and that is indeed what it will say. Hee!)
I took my camera along because I figured it would be the kids' last visit with her, and Martha even mustered up the energy for a smile.

Martha had a life full of many challenges and trials, but she never lost her faith, and I know she is dancing some kind of jig up there in heaven today (forget resting in peace!). Our relationship was not always easy, but when it came right down to it, we loved each other. I am glad I knew her, and without her lineage, I would not have my three beautiful children.


2 comments:
that's a sweet story about the headstones =)
What a lovely tribute. All the struggles we have with our family seem unimportant when the end of life comes, don't they? I love the headstone story! Just think of the smile it will bring to the face of a passerby someday who will wonder what kind of wonderful love story they had.
Post a Comment